Barmy Battleships is a postal version of Battleships for all readers of a games zine.
These rules are based on those published in Neil Duncan's The Cunning Plan, 1992
- All subscribers to, and regular recipients mentioned in the zine are in the game
whether they like it or not.
- The board is a grid of 19 by 19 squares. These are lettered along the top
(the x axis) and numbered down the side (the y axis).
- Each player has a single 4 square battleship placed somewhere at random on the board.
They can be vertical, horizontal or diagonal. Battleships can be next to each other
but they cannot overlap.
- Each turn a player gives the x and y co-ordinates of two shots. A hit scores one point.
If more than one player 'hits' the same square at the same time, the point is shared
equally between them.
- Shots landing on an empty square, or a square that has already been hit is deemed a 'miss'.
- Players may only fire until their own battleship is sunk, i.e., hit on all 4 squares.
- The winner is the player with the highest score.
- If a player hits his own ship it counts as a 'miss'. Players may ask the GM
to e-mail them their ship's position.
- Diplomacy between players is allowed.
- Press is positively encouraged.
- After the first turn players who NMR will suffer a one 'hit' penalty per turn
until out. If an NMRing player is 'hit', the penalty is waived for that turn.
|Fred Bloggs|| G13, K19|| One more shot and John Smith's rust bucket goes down!
Sample Turn Report
|Fred Bloggs ||G13, K19 ||hit John Smith, miss|| 3.5|| 1 hit
|John Smith ||S13, G11|| miss, miss ||1.33|| 3 hits
|Annette Curtain|| M20, C5 ||hit/sunk Donny Trump, miss ||2.25 ||no hits
|Donny Trump|| T12, T13|| miss, miss|| 0.5|| sunk!
Fred Bloggs: "One more shot and John Smith's rust bucket does down!"
John Smith: "C'mon Freddie me old mucker, can't we kiss and make up?"
Annette Curtain: "Sorry Donny, it's sea-dog eat sea-dog in this game, and time for someone else to win!"
Donny Trump: "Blast!"